Dog ate poison bait: What to do?

First of all, if your dog shows the poisoning symptoms described below, you should take him to the vet as soon as possible. Every second counts, as the baits can quickly do a lot of damage, depending on the type of poison.

Dog ate poison bait: Possible symptoms

Every poison works differently. In addition, a dog may react differently to one poison than another. Differences in race, body weight and other factors determine the symptoms of poisoning. For example, if your dog has eaten a poison bait, fatigue, vomiting, increased salivation, restlessness and sudden cramps or tremors may occur. The airways can also be affected, which usually manifests itself in shortness of breath or coughing.

More severe symptoms may include unconsciousness, bruising, bloody mucous membranes or discoloured, bloody faeces or urine and diarrhea.

In case of poisoning go immediately to the veterinarian

If you know that your dog has eaten a poison bait, you should go to the vet immediately. Important: If it is possible, take the remains of the poison bait to the vet’s office so that the doctor can analyse the poison in the laboratory and then start the right therapy more quickly.

Keep away from self-treatment on site. For example, you should not make your fur nose vomit – this is an initial measure that the vet may take later, but can be dangerous if you do it yourself. Especially if it’s not a poison bait, but a bait with sharp metal parts like razor blades, vomiting can do a lot of damage. Tip for transport: Keep your four-legged friend warm and provide a soft surface.

These dog health topics may also be of interest to you:

Slug pollen poisoning in dogs: symptoms

This is how a dog with blood poisoning must be treated

Caution poisonous! Food that dogs should not eat